Measure X Update - New School in Foster City
Measure X Update: New Elementary School in Foster City
Dear Foster City Community Members,
I want to thank you again for your support of Measure X and appreciate your patience as we move this process forward. I am happy to report that demolition activity is proceeding on the former Charter Square Shopping Center property.
If you have not been by the site at Beach Park and Shell Boulevards, the buildings have been removed and the building debris has been hauled off the site. During the next few weeks, the removal of the asphalt and concrete and the work required by the California Department of Toxic Substances Control (DTSC) on a small part of the site will continue. All of this work is being done under the leadership of Westlake Urban, the current owner of the site.
Once the site is graded, Westlake Urban will transfer ownership of the property to the School District. As I reported in November, this transfer of ownership prior to construction of the school is being done pursuant to an option, not available previously, provided by Westlake Urban last October in recognition of the increasing costs of construction throughout the Bay Area. The District’s Board of Trustees decided to choose this option and publicly bid the construction of the school.
This option will result in the District acquiring the property together with the design and all construction documents for the original agreed upon price of $30.1m and the cost of the work done to date including the design of the school, technical studies, State, regional and local approvals, and the site demolition, remediation and grading.
The District has completed the process for pre-qualification of General Contractors and major subcontractors interested in the project. The documents for the District to bid the construction were released last week. The bid opening is planned for May 2019 with a recommendation to be presented to the District’s Board of Trustees in May. If the project is within the District’s planned budget, construction is anticipated to start in early summer and projected to last, dependent on weather, for about eighteen months with occupancy projected during the 2020-2021 school year. A more detailed listing of completed and future actions is listed below.
For more information on the project, visit the District website - http://www.smfcsd.net/en/measure-x/new-foster-city-elementary-school.html
Joan Rosas, Ed.D.
MAJOR MILESTONES COMPLETED AS OF MARCH 30, 2019
- School Conveyance Agreement (SCA) Signed - November 2016
- First of 13 Community Meetings Started - November 2016
- California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA) Analysis Begun - Spring 2017
- City of Foster City Convenes Ad Hoc Committee - May 2017
- Education Specifications Work Completed - June 2017
- Conceptual Design Completed/DSA Drawings Begun - Summer 2017
- SCA Amendment 1 Approval - September 2017
- Division of State Architect (DSA) Submission - November 2017
- California Geologic Survey Approval - December 2017
- Department of Toxic Substances Control (DTSC) Preliminary Environmental Assessment (PEA) Submitted - December 2017
- Environmental Impact Report (CEQA) Certified by the Board - January 2018
- Applications for Site Approval and Project Approval Submitted to the California Department of Education - January-February 2018
- DTSC Approval of PEA and development of Removal Action Workplan begun - February 2018
- Asbestos Removal Completed - May 2018
- Memorandum of Understanding between the City of Foster City and SMFCSD approved - June 2018
- California Department of Education Approval of School and Site Applications - July 2018
- Community Meeting on Construction Activities, Schedule and Contacts Held - July 2018
- Division of State Architects (DSA) Approval - August 2018
- Department of Toxic Substances Control (DTSC) Approval of the Removal Action Workplan (RAW) - August 2018
- Additional Testing for DTSC Completed - August-September 2018
- PG&E Power turn-off/removal Completed - September - October 2018
- Approval of Amendment to School Conveyance Agreement (SCA) which provided new option to purchase property only - October 2018
- Revised/updated Costs Information - November 2018
- Board of Trustees Decision to Buy Property after Site Demolition - November 2018
- Beginning of Demolition and Grading Work by Westlake-Urban - January 2019
- Beginning of Implementation of approved DTSC Removal Action Workplan (RAW) - March 2019
- Interval Testing per the DTSC Removal Action Plan - 30 days for 6 months to a year
- Prequalification Process for General Contractor and Primary Subcontractors - February-March 2019
- Requests for Bids - March 2019
- Submission of Bids - May 2019
- Board of Trustees Consideration of Bids (budget dependent) - May-June 2019
- Projected Start of Construction if Bid is Awarded - July 2019
- Anticipated Completion of Construction - Late fall 2020*
- Certification of Occupancy - Late fall 2020*
- Planned Occupancy - During the 2020-2021 School Year*