Facilities Master Plan Update
Note from Ms. Morgan, October 2020
SMFCSD's Facilities Master Plan for the New Decade and what it will mean for
Bowditch Middle School
I've been asked about the Facilities Master Plan (FMP) for the New Decade and what it includes for Bowditch Middle School. First, a little background for those who are new to Bowditch or interested in what led up to the FMP. Last year, the District embarked on the development of a Facilities Master Plan for the New Decade which was adopted by the Board of Trustees on July 30, 2020. The adoption of the FMP came after months of input from staff and parents at our school and each school in the District during the first half of 2020 and the District's finalization of the Plan before presentation to the Board of Trustees. Not only was each school community asked to identify facility needs, each school's School Facilities Team, comprised of staff and parent leaders, was encouraged to provide its recommendations of all of the facilities needs to be included in the FMP for the New Decade and its recommended priorities to be addressed as Immediate Priorities in the FMP.
I am excited to report that the Immediate Priorities for Bowditch School address many of our needs and priorities as well as those identified Districtwide in the months after Shelter-in-Place began. The Immediate Priorities identified for all schools are 1) to provide improved safe and healthy environments needed as a result of what we've learned from the current COVID-19 crisis as well as the increasing number of wildfires and 2) to address needs that are specific to our school and possibly other sites.
The Immediate Priorities for Bowditch for which the Board of Trustees is seeking funding include:
- Building a new gym and locker rooms
- Beginning a rebuilding of a major portion of our campus and renovating/modernizing the rest
- Replacing the lunch shade structure
- Adding windows and improving air filtration
- Adding water bottle fillers and handwashing stations throughout the campus
- Improving the 6th grade science classrooms including expanded space for lab work*
- Replacing carpeting in classrooms for health reasons with the installation of vinyl flooring including acoustical panels where needed to support effective teaching and learning
- Modernizing our student and adult restrooms with new fixtures, flooring and other finishes
- Increasing the number Chromebooks so that Bowditch and all schools have enough Chromebooks for each student to have one
- Replacing the grass field with turf
- Repaving the asphalt play area and the parking lot
- Improving landscaping and irrigation and replacing/repairing the storm drain
- Making plumbing and electrical repairs/upgrades
- Installation of a solar system to work toward net-zero energy (NZE) usage and reduce the annual expenses for utilities
*Note that the above are in addition to the new Drama Building and 7th-8th grade Science classrooms for which planning is underway now. This project is already funded.
The Facilities Master Plan for the New Decade includes other facilities needs after these Immediate Priorities are addressed. For the full Plan and the Summary Section for Bowditch Middle School, please click on the links below: